One of the officers involved in the botched raid on Breonna Taylor’s home last year announced his plan to retire. Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly will retire on June 1 of this year, Louisville Metro Police Department spokesperson Beth Ruoff confirmed in a statement released Wednesday evening (April 28).
Mattingly is the only officer involved in the deadly raid still on the LMPD force after Taylor's killing. He was shot in the leg during the raid that claimed Breonna’s life and filed a lawsuit against her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, who was with Breonna the night she died.
“I’ve never taken lightly the responsibility that comes along with serving the great citizens of Louisville,” Mattingly said in a statement. “It’s my hope and prayer, that moving forward, our city can heal and unite. My plan was not to move on from this calling, but in the best interest of my family, the time has come.” Mattingly has been with the department since 2000 and will reportedly receive his full pension.
Mattingly also added that the US Department of Justice’s plans to investigate the Louisville Metro Police Department didn’t influence his decision to retire.
“The current DOJ investigation into the department played no role in this decision. I have great faith in the men and women of LMPD, who selflessly give of themselves, to continue to serve this community in a professional and unbiased manner,” he said in his statement.
News of Mattingly’s plans to publish an “inside story” book into Breonna Taylor’s killing recently made headlines and sparked backlash. The book distributor named in the deal subsequently backed out.
Photo: Getty Images