R. Kelly's state trial is still on track to begin on August 1, after an Illinois judge denied his attorney's request to delay court proceedings.
Kelly's attorney Jennifer Bonjean failed to persuade US District Judge Harry Leinenweber on Tuesday (May 10) to delay the start of the incarcerated R&B singer's state case, FOX 32 News reported. The 55-year-old faces child pornography and obstruction of justice charges in Chicago and was convicted of federal racketeering charges last year.
In a phone conference with the judge this week, Bonjean said that there is "an exorbitant amount of material to digest" in preparation for the trial and that Kelly is possibly "looking down the barrel of a life sentence" in the case.
"The problem is," Judge Leinenweber said. "This case has been delayed time and time again. This case is going to have to go to trial."
Earlier this month, Bonjean –– who reportedly worked on Bill Cosby's legal team –– submitted a motion to dismiss several charges against Kelly. Leinenweber has not yet made a ruling on that motion but has previously denied motions to dismiss charges against Kelly.
The singer is already facing the possibility of a life sentence for the federal case in Brooklyn. Sentencing in that case is set for June 15. Kelly remains incarcerated at a New York facility in the meantime.