Woods took to social media to share the news that he wouldn't be playing in the U.S. golf championship scheduled for next week. The golf star said that he wanted to take to time to heal his body.
"I previously informed the USGA that I will not be competing in the @usopengolf as my body needs more time to get stronger for major championship golf," Woods tweeted. "I do hope and plan to be ready to play in Ireland at @JPProAm and at @TheOpen next month. I’m excited to get back out there soon!"
Per his tweet, the 15-time major champion said he still plans to play in the JP McManus Pro-Am in Ireland on July 4-5 and The Open at the Old Course at St. Andrews from July 14-17.
Woods' announcement follows his withdrawal during the third round of the PGA Championship last month. At the PGA's, he was spotted limping on his right leg, which was surgically repaired after his February 2021 car crash.
The three-time U.S. Open champion told reporters before the PGA Championship, "It's only going to keep getting stronger. The more I use it, the more strength it gains." He added, "Am I ever going to have full mobility? No. Never again. But I'll be able to get stronger. It's going to ache, but that's the way it's going to be."