On Monday (August 1), Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear announced that at least 35 people have died after the massive rainfall the state received last week.
"More tough news. We have confirmed more fatalities from the Eastern Kentucky floods," Beshear tweeted Monday. "Our loss now stands at 35. Pray for these families and for those who are missing."
The Kentucky governor noted that hundreds of people still remain unaccounted for during a press conference on Monday. Beshear also confirmed that a smaller number of fatalities reported over the weekend only accounted for one of the state's police posts.
"We just don't have a firm grasp on that," he said. "I wish we did."
Parts of eastern Kentucky were hit with up to 10.5 inches of rain during a 48-hour period last week.
On Sunday (July 31), some areas experienced more rainfall of up to four inches, per the National Weather Service.
CBS reports that over 12,000 people are currently without power as many homes and businesses have been completely destroyed.
Beshear said on Monday that more severe storms were possibly on the way for counties that have already been affected by the flooding.
"If things weren't hard enough on the people of this region, they're getting rain right now," he said.
President Joe Biden declared a federal disaster last week directing funds and resources to flooded counties.