The Ghana native, who joined the Turkish soccer club Hatayspor over the summer, was previously reported safe on Tuesday (February 7) by his agent Nana Sechere. In a tweet, Sechere said officials from Hatayspor told him that Atsu had been "pulled out of the rubble alive."
The Ghanian Football Association also seemingly confirmed that Atsu was found alive, saying the soccer star had “been successfully rescued from."
In a reversal of his original statements, Sechere tweeted on Thursday (February 9) that Atsu was "yet to be found," noting that he would provide no further updates unless he sees or speaks to Atsu himself.
Earlier on Thursday, Atsu's agent said he was doing everything possible to locate the soccer player.
“As you can imagine, this continues to be a devastating time for his family and we are doing everything we can to locate Christian,” Sechere tweeted.
Sechere's tweets followed Hatayspor director Volkan Demirel telling Reuters that Atsu wasn't "pulled out or taken anywhere."
Thus far, at least 20,000 people have been confirmed dead after Turkey and Syria faced two massive earthquakes on Monday (February 6).
Just one day before the earthquake, Atsu scored his first goal for Hatayspor. He previously played for top English clubs including Chelsea, Everton, Bournemouth, and Newcastle.