Death Of Boy Thought To Have Died From Allergic Reaction Linked To Fentanyl

Photo: Getty Images

An eight-year-old boy's death was linked to fentanyl after it was believed to have been caused by an allergic reaction to strawberries, PEOPLE reports.

Trey Major Harris, 8, was found not breathing and unresponsive in his Kentucky home on March 15.

Harris' family told authorities that he had eaten several strawberries from a school fundraiser the night before his death. As he began to show signs of an allergic reaction, Harris' family said they gave him Benadryl, soaked him in a bath, and later took him to an emergency room.

Harris returned home after not being evaluated, went to sleep, and was later found unresponsive.

At the time, the Hopkins County Health Department warned individuals not to eat strawberries from the fundraiser, saying the FDA and state lab would examine them.

The department said Tuesday (April 9) that the strawberries tested "negative" and they were "no longer issuing a caution concerning them."

The Hopkins County Coroner's Office said Harris' cause of death was ruled as "Fentanyl Intoxication" with the manner of death listed as "Undetermined."

Harris' stepfather, Antonio Person, was arrested after police searched his home and found a firearm, drugs, and drug paraphernalia. Person was charged with trafficking fentanyl, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and possession of a handgun by a convicted felon.

Records from Hopkins County Jail state Person was also charged with second-degree manslaughter. He is slated to appear in court on Friday (April 12).

The Black Information Network is your source for Black News! Get the latest news 24/7 on The Black Information Network. Listen now on the iHeartRadio app or click HERE to tune in live.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content